Thursday, May 20, 2010

climbing bears


Our malamute has recently discovered her ability to climb fences. Interestingly, she has pursued her new climbing talent with a focus on recreation instead of using it as a means to freedom. She is obviously very proud of her achievement and rubs it in Cessna's face from our neighbor’s yard. To get her back into our yard we have but to call her and she climbs right on over, thankful for the chance to show off. Cessna, our other pup, is arguably more talented in terms of leaping and we often have seen her leap several feet straight up in the air. Fortunately for us, she has not figured that if she adds a little forward momentum to her leaps all of Anchorage will be her oyster to discover. It is hard keeping a malamute and a husky tired out. It seems no matter what we do, by 10pm Malley is howling straight in our ears or just starring at us while she sits in front of the television as if to say "I'll give you something to look at". I started putting them in pulling harnesses and letting them pull me on my bike. They are good for a few miles before they slow down. Misty also gave me a longboard (a skateboard that’s about 3 feet long and shaped like a surfboard) which I have been riding lately as they pull me through the neighborhood streets. Misty was afraid at first that I was going to hurt myself on the skateoard, which is not an unreasonable thing to asume, but it worked out really well. Turns out cruising at 20 miles an hour on a skateboard behind 2 sled dogs through suburbia is a good way to turn heads! Anyway, I’m rambling now but the moral to this story is if you want an easy pet, a sled dog is not your best bet, they are very entertaining.

1 comment:

  1. Only in Alaska would the words long board and husky be used in the same sentence. Ingenious, you two are. Wish to be there, I do. Giving my best Yoda impression, I am. :)

    ReplyDelete